Hello and Welcome!

Please understand that this website is not affiliated with the Prince Matchabelli Company any way, it is only a reference page for collectors and those who have enjoyed the classic fragrances of days gone by.

The main objective of this website is to chronicle the history of the Prince Matchabelli fragrances and showcase the bottles and advertising used throughout the years.

However, one of the other goals of this website is to show the present owners of the Prince Matchabelli perfume company how much we miss the discontinued classics and hopefully, if they see that there is enough interest and demand, they will bring back these fragrances!

Please leave a comment below (for example: of why you liked the fragrance, describe the scent, time period or age you wore it, who gave it to you or what occasion, any specific memories, what it reminded you of, maybe a relative wore it, or you remembered seeing the bottle on their vanity table), who knows, perhaps someone from the current Prince Matchabelli brand might see it.

Also, this website is a labor of love, it is a work in progress and is always being updated with new information as I can find it, so check back often!

Looking for Vintage Fragrances?

Monday, May 20, 2013

Beloved by Prince Matchabelli c1950

Beloved by Prince Matchabelli: launched in 1950. The advertisements shown in newspapers state that this perfume was "imported from France", which infers that, unlike most of the Matchabelli perfumes, this particular one was bottled, and sealed in France, but in reality, only the perfume formula was compounded in France. It was then shipped to the Matchabelli factory in the USA and bottled, packaged and distributed.


Fragrance Composition:


So what does it smell like? It is classified as a soft, sweet and warm floral bouquet fragrance for women.  Very heady with Mediterranean blossoms layered over an exotic Oriental base .
  • Top notes: orange, Calabrian bergamot, neroli
  • Middle notes: ylang ylang, jasmine, orange blossom, rose, honeysuckle
  • Base notes: chamomile, patchouli, Mysore sandalwood, Tibetan musk, vanilla, Abyssinian ambergris, tobacco, Abyssinian civet

It was described as "the most captivating perfume to ever come out of France. Rich and warm and becoming to the mature woman. An utterly different and incredibly long lasting new perfume. A warm poignant fragrance that seems to whisper of youth "

Bottles:

The perfume was housed in the lovely azure blue crown flacons. The identifying package symbol is a cherub.


Robin's Egg Blue Prince Matchabelli perfume bottle originally held their "Beloved" perfume. Retains its original gilt glass cross stopper and its original gold foil label on base. Photo from worthopedia.


1/4 oz size. Photo from worthopedia






Fate of the Fragrance:


Discontinued, date unknown. Still being sold in 1974.





4 comments:

  1. I remember a wonderful cologne called Heaven Sent. You could splash it on your body quite heavily & it wasn't too heavy, but would last all day. I wish they would sell it in large bottles like Jean Nate. My mother had five daughters and she thought it was suitable for her young teenagers. I had mentioned it to a nurse that told me nurses aren't supposed to wear perfume, but this is one that no one complained about. I really wish it could be purchased in large quantities or a large bottle. I still want to purchase that wonderful scent from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an original Beloved Love Letter Set #6026 It is in the original packaging and I can't find any information on it. Maybe someone can help me with information on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father had bought my mother a bottle of the lovely perfume. When I was a little girl she would let me hold it and walk around with the bottle. And one holiday I put the bottle in my little apron pocket and proudly walked around the house holding the beautiful treasure. I wish I had that bottle. I think of it often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wore Prince Matchabelli Beloved perfume from the time I was a teenager in the 60's until it was discontinued. I always got so many compliments when I wore it and I still miss it. I would give anything to see it come back. It's a lovely fragrance.

    ReplyDelete