Thursday, February 12, 2015

Cachet by Prince Matchabelli c1970

Cachet by Prince Matchabelli: launched in 1970.

Note: Please understand that this website is not affiliated with the Prince Matchabelli company in any way, it is only a reference page for collectors and those who have enjoyed the Prince Matchabelli fragrances.  

The goal of this website is to show the present owners of the Prince Matchabelli company how much we miss the discontinued classics such as Cachet and hopefully, if they see that there is enough interest and demand, they will bring back the perfume! 

Please leave a comment below (for example: of why you liked the perfume, describe the scent, time period or age you wore it, who gave it to you or what occasion, any specific memories), who knows, perhaps someone from the company might see it.

In a 1970s introductory ad, Prince Matchabelli claimed that the "Fragrance is as individual as you are. Fascinating Cachet reacts to your body chemistry to make this delightful."  Another ad read "Besides being fresh and fascinating, Cachet is designed to pick up and play up every girl's own very special chemistry."


Fragrance Composition:


So what does it smell like? It is classified as an animalic floral chypre fragrance for women. It starts off with a spicy aldehydic top, followed by a sultry woody floral heart, resting on a warm, leathery, mossy base.
  • Top notes: aldehydes, herbaceous note, spice note, and galbanum
  • Middle notes: patchouli, orris root, jasmine, vetiver and oriental rose
  • Base notes: amber, oakmoss, leather, musk, and civet

My bottle of Cachet cologne is vintage 1970s, very heavy with the oakmoss and vetiver. I dabbed a little on my wrist and well, it is not something I particularly like as i am not usually fond of chypres, my husband took a whiff of it on my arm and said it is a scent he "would buy for his mother" and not his wife.


The American Home, Volume 80, 1977:
"Cachet by Prince Matchabelli is a complex blend of florals with lingering notes that are ambery, mossy, woody, and musky. It's designed to smell totally different for each wearer."

Fate of the Fragrance:

The original Cachet seems to have been discontinued around 1990, but it was reformulated and relaunched. But for those who grew up wearing Cachet, it will always remain a favorite classic and can be found at discount perfume websites.

  • Top notes: aldehydes, green grass, bergamot, spices and galbanum
  • Middle notes: patchouli, orris root, jasmine, vetiver and rose
  • Base notes: amber, sandalwood, leather, musk

12 comments:

  1. I have been using Cachet since 1970...it is the only cologne that I can wear that does not change on me...I have tried other colognes since I can not get my Cachet anymore and after spraying them on within 10 minutes they stink so bad. The chemistry in my body works only with Cachet!! Please bring it back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same cannot stand any other cologne

      Delete
  2. I have been using Cachet since 1970...it is the only cologne that I can wear that does not change on me...I have tried other colognes since I can not get my Cachet anymore and after spraying them on within 10 minutes they stink so bad. The chemistry in my body works only with Cachet!! Please bring it back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the heck is going on???? Has the Prince Matchabelli Family/corporation become Opportunists and decided to see how far they can exploit and dismiss the following of women in their past years of success! I have been wearing Cachet since the 70's and I am an active, attractive, beautiful woman of 61. This "drug store" cologne became mine, and my signature scent for years, with always compliments.I use to buy cachet as gifts for family, friends, nieces,etc. It is now unavailable at most stores...and is being advertised at purchase price at $99.00! if your corporate goal is to profit from this now, old, um I mean now "vintage" scent (yes, as a small business owner I understand) (profit) There is no reason to discontinue this fragrance....or did someone lose the recipe? Find it, bring it back or forget any more purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly miss this perfume. I have worn it forever and am now 61 years young. I am almost out and wish I had stocked up on more bottles but had no idea that my favorite perfume would be discontinued.

    I really wish you would bring it back as I cannot afford the ridiculous prices people are asking on Amazon, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please bring Cachet back. Its all I wear and always got compliments. Please, please bring it back

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the only perfume that I can ever remember my mom wearing. She is now 63 & on her last few drops of the last bottle she has from years ago. She has been using it sparingly since it became so hard to come by. The prices on Ebay/Amazon are just crazy (even for used). To me, this scent is my mom. Hope it comes back, I'd rather pay a little more to a store than the people trying to blow their prices up...because they can. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto the other comments. Cachet has been my cologne since 1970. I consistently receive compliments about this fragrance. I've tried other colognes and people know that they are not my scent. I've been searching online and finding ridiculous prices for those few bottles out there. For all of us who have been using cachet for over 40 years, please bring it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with all of the above comments. I also have been wearing Cachet since 1970. I am very sensitive to scents and Cachet is the only one that I can wear! I am 64 years old. Please bring it back so it is a reasonable price for those of us who may be nearing retirement.

      Delete
  8. I have been wearing Cachet since 1972, so many people ask about my perfume, it is unreal!!!!!! Men have stopped me to ask, at the embarrassment of their wives to ask and are thrilled to know what kind it is... I work in a resturant, one night a man said lean over here... he smelled my neck and said "Yes its you!!! What kind of perfume you wear, I want my wife to smell like you!!! I gave her a bottle with small amount to try and he was sold !!!!! Now they come back to ask what are we going to do since it is discontinued... due to allergies, I have never worn anything else since i started using Cachet.. Please bring it back!!!!! My husband now does not know what to buy me for Christmas, birthday etc.....I always got 4 bottles every year from him

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please prince matchabelli..bring back Cachet. I have been wearing this cologne for about 41 years I received a bottle as a birthday gift and haven't stopped wearing it until now. Why did you stop making a cologne that so many people enjoyed and are now totally disappointed and upset that it is no longer available. Just because something is old you just don't throw it out! I just hope when you get old someone doesn't decide to throw you out!! Please bring back cachet and make an bunch of upset 55 year Olds extremely happy and not feel like we were left out to pasture. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please bring back Cachet. I miss it a lot as nothing else suits me so well. Most perfumes smell like flyspray on me. Couldnt you at least produce a limited edition to see how great the demand is?

    ReplyDelete